Download - 2.13 MB
TES5Edit 3.0.30 EXPERIMENTAL by ElminsterAU. Updated for Skyrim by Hlp, Zilav and Sharlikran.
This is the eighth update of TES5Edit and is still being updated. However, it should still be considered experimental. Make backups of your plugins and report any issues in the official Bethesda thread. If you have never used TES5Edit, Wiki Pages and basic videos are available.
We only support version 1.9 of Skyrim and version 3.0.30 of TES5Edit. Update TES5Edit and Skyrim before you post in the forum.
Other Informative Videos can be found on my YouTube chanel.
Note: These are all a work in Progress.
Updates on CK Wiki Pages:
TES5Edit Cleaning Guide
TES5Edit Mod Cleaning Tutorial
TES5Edit Skyrim Dirty Plugins List
Official Bethesda Forum: Best place to ask technical questions related to the inner workings of TES5Edit.
TES5Edit Plugin Cleaning Emporium: Best place to ask questions related to cleaning plugins. Both modders and the closed beta testers post here often.
Fallout3 Training Manual for FO3Edit (applies to all game versions)
FNVEdit Training Manual for FNVEdit (applies to all game versions)
Important DirectX Information
If you get an error about d3dx9_*.dll not being installed, you need to update your DirectX to the most current version. DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) or DirectX End-User Runtimes (March 2008) or DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer. (make sure to install it after unpacking it)
Future of TES5Edit
We appreciate all the thanks and support from the community. Hlp recently volunteered and was responsible for the additional updates to the VMAD routines. Although they look good please keep backups of your plugins and report any errors with VMAD. Zilav has some updates planed that will improve the Check for Errors routine so that it includes checking for assets. The additional function will check for meshes, textures, pex scripts, seq files (if needed), and will search BSA files as well. This will help end users check to see if all required assets are present. When files are missing especially scripts, that can lead to undetected issues, malfunctions with the plugin, and CTDs.
Although we welcome suggestions for improving TES5Edit automation is not one of them. We do not plan on adding an automated way to clean multiple plugins or access to TES5Edit from the command line. Currently cleaning a plugin involves indexing over a million references at times. When only the required plugins are loaded then the cleaning is accurate. If unnecessary plugins are involved those become part of the index and could cause the plugin to lose important and required data. We understand the need for unattended automation at times. However, without human intervention too many issues during the cleaning process would go unnoticed and make troubleshooting game issues related to plugins even more difficult then it already is.
As TES5Edit becomes more widely used in the Skyrim community it has become a concern that many people want to use the utility in place of the Construction Kit. This is still not recommended. We work hard to make TES5Edit as accurate as possible but development is directly related to the plugins themselves. TES5Edit can not replicate all the changes that the CK will make. Attack Data is the best example. Merely checking or unchecking certain things for an NPC will alter the attack data dramatically. We won't be adding those types of things to TES5Edit. Please understand that we don't directly support the use of TES5Edit when it is used outside the scope of its design which is conflict resolution. Editing masses of entries, merging plugins, and creating compatibility patches for Skyrim overhauls may be possible. However, please create your own separate thread apart from the official Bethesda developmental thread for TES5Edit.
Trouble shooting plugins
Detecting issues with plugins is a big concern. Nobody wants to start their game over due to constant crashes to desktop. Detecting issues with plugins is very difficult and is unique depending on the other plugins in your load order. Recently I had two plugins that I felt were not related to the cause of my own crash to desktop while in the character creation menu. However, after uninstalling those plugins I was able to create a new character and experience uninterrupted game play. I know many of you look to the TES5Edit development team for guidance but we are not modders. We rarely use the Construction Kit unless we need to test the data in the records of the plugins. As noted by FlaFlada (slightly revised) who posted on my YouTube channel: The main points if having issues are 1. Dirty mods. 2. Leveled list issues. 3. Improper mod placement. The solutions are 1.Clean all mods except Skyrim.esm and Unofficial patches using TES5Edit. 2. Let BOSS sort your mods. 3. make a bashed patch using Wrye Bash. And in this order: Update mods, activate plugins, BOSS sort mods, clean mods, create patches with TES5Edit, delete duplicate records in any user created patches already handled by Wrye Bash, drag bashed patch BELOW additional user created patches, rebuild Bash Patch. If issues persist contact mod makers.
Contacting the mod authors is probably the last thing you should do after encountering an issue. Unfortunately it's the first thing most people do. As authors of TES5Edit we understand that there may be a lot of information to absorb for new users but give it time. It took us time to inform ourselves about everything so you can't expect to understand it in a day. I myself still look to the community and modders for advice and information to make sure I provide the most accurate guidance and information. Telling us or a mod author that you can't read walls of text you can't comprehend doesn't help you at all when asking for help. Most authors don't have the time to compile compatibility lists of plugins and list in detail how to manage your load order. Questions like, "Is this updated for Skyrim 1.8?", "Is this compatible with [Insert Plugin Here]?", are easily answered by reading the documentation (if provided) or reading the description page. I myself will be referring people more and more to community based resources, videos, and documentation so that I can work more directly with improving TES5Edit, updating Wrye Bash, updating plugins for Skyrim, and helping the BOSS team when possible. For that reason I will be increasingly less understanding when it comes to questions that have been asked and answered before.
Previous versions such as FO3Edit, FNVEdit, TES4Edit:
We understand that sometimes updates to programs break things. Please use the updates with caution. However, please use them and then report issues so we can improve the program. Our goal is to make all versions as bug free as possible and introduce new features that are useful for the modding community for all the Bethesda games this utility supports.
With each new version of TES5Edit you may want to restore plugins from backups and reclean them. Otherwise any fixes and updates to cleaning process won't take effect.
Version 3.0.30 contains the following changes:
- Added Prev/NextMember for Record union. Use after adding a new one to select the apropriate.
- Search for required master extended upward.
- Added a second command line parameter to specify the game's ini file location.
- Ctrl+A to select all in editor window.
- "Jump to" option in record's header popup menu.
- Enable/disable autosaves in options.
- Log file is overwritten at 3MB.
- [xDump] Fatal exceptions are reported through ReportProgress to have a timestamp. It might be useful to track down the issue.
- [TES5] Blocks adding new script property and new scripts. Please use CK to create them.
- [TES4/TES5/FO3/FNV] Record definitions update (number of ITM counts may change).
- New scripts added.
- New scripting functions (including regular expressions).
- New UI controls (TLabeledEdit, TCheckListBox).
- Scripts can be accessed with hotkeys (Ctrl+Shift+F to call a new find cell script demo).
- Removed syntax highlighter from script editor.
- Variable size detection corrected.
- Out of bounds detection corrected.
- Issues 125, 126, 129, 128 (128 was "worked around").
- Code modified for compatibility with both Delphi XE and XE3 in the same source files.
- Added BaseName property so unsorted arrays can contain structured unions.
- ByteArray length increased to 64 bits.
Version 3.0.29 contains the following changes:
- New Icon provided by moiman100.
- [TES5] more information is decoded (Records ARMA, NVSI, MOD2, LVLO).
- [TES5] Every string value gets own ID when localizing plugin
- [TES5] Fixed error when copying VMAD scripts using drag & drop
- issue 104 : Files others than esp and esm (and ghost) are timestamped.
- issue 88 : Delete from the view pane column title contextual menu is disabled (due to a hard to reproduce bug). This is a workaround, not a fix.
- issue 119 : [TES5] The CK adds useless XLRL records when reverting a change. Those XLRL are considered benign and the record ITM.
- issue 110 : Check for errors now checks for invalid FormIDs. Also, new "Check for errors" sample script.
- Options are processed when they matter, not at the beginning.
- issue 82 : [TES5] Capitalization fixed in text are being treated as dirty edits. Description fields are case sensitive now.
- Scripts can use other scripts with standard pascal "uses" keyword.
- New functions available.
- New sample scripts.
- Compare to will not overwrite an existing file, nor will it leave temporary files behind.
- issue 125 : Condition added are no longer empty.
- issue 121 : Changing FormID of Region causes severe bugs. Reference building is delayed to after the change is done. Non region reference XCLR record are no longer removed.
- issue 120/118 : Reference not updated while adding a master. Reference lookup during the addition was sometimes unreliable.
- issue 117 : Bug in script Undelete and Disable References.pas
- issue 112 : Option "Simple Record" malfunctioning.
- issue 111 : AV when saving subrecords with prefixed arrays. Sizing and memory allocation are done properly during every phase.
- issue 108 : Very slow saving after editing ESM flag. Background updating limited as much as possible during saves.
- issue 107 : Copying a quest record causes extraneous script fragment data to be generated. Sizing and memory allocation issue.
- issue 106 : Error adding a new master to plugin with own navmeshes. Fire Union decider when they can effectively properly work, not before.
- issue 105 : Overwriting quest fragments or Quest Aliases may produce exceptions. During copy, memory is initialized properly before being used.
- issue 100 : Voice Type EditorID disappears. Memory sizing issue.
- issue 123 : Using Check for errors after sort master, before saving and reloading: the Cell FormID will not be updated. (that is a display issue only).
- issue 102 : Objects with property names but no assigned values don't display the names. The CK does not save the property name in the plugin in that case so it is correct.
- issue 115 : "Backup plugin" checkbox anchored to bottom of form.
- avoid firing some cached exception (to ease debugging).
Version 3.0.28 contains the following changes:
- [TES5] Papyrus (VMAD subrecord) support and other misc record updates including Dragonborn DLC
- [TES5] "Next Object ID" error when copying records
- Text fields in records are case sensitive when matching
- Ability to change references to FormID < 800h
- Changeable conflict colors and default column width in options
- "Simple records" option for concise displaying of LAND, NAVM and NAVI records (excluding references). On by default to speed up xEdit, customizable in options
- Improved scripting functions, new demo scripts
Version 3.0.27 contains the following changes:
- [TES5] Updated dialog subtypes for patch 1.8
- Localize/delocalize utf8 strings. Translation is disabled, highly recommended to use StrEdit or other specialized tools instead
- Search by FormID/EditorID skips hidden elements
Version 3.0.26 contains the following changes:
- 3.0.26 includes the changes in 3.0.25
- TES5Edit 3.0.25 was removed from Nexus because of potential issues caused by converting BODT to BOD2. Sorry if that version caused any issues for anyone.
- [TES5] BODT is unchanged (Caused issues with Dawnguard.esm)
- [TES5] Fixed bug in RACE with sorted biped object names. If you modified race records with previous versions, drag & drop biped object names from master to restore them.
- Additional internal functions accessible from scripts
- New demo scripts in the Edit Scripts Folder
- Install the Edit Scripts folder in the same place as the xxxEdit.exe.
Version 3.0.25 contains the following changes:
- [TES5] Impact data set IPDS is now sorted
- [TES5] Added DEST data to ALCH (for "Destructible bottles")
- [TES5] BODT subrecord is autoreplaced with BOD2 in ARMA, ARMO and RACE records to conform CK 1.8 format
- [TES5] Additional decoding in WRLD and RACE for new data saved with CK 1.8
- [TES5] Added back records to Merged Patch (removed in 3.0.24) but only when the winning record has no scripts
- [FNV] Updated missing INFO flags
- [TES4] Fixed error when copying SPEL record
- Pascal-based scripting system and "Apply Script" menu (check available demo scripts on how to)
- "Options" menu
- "Analyze Log" menu, currently supports
* Skyrim papyrus log
* Oblivion RuntimeScriptProfiler log http://www.oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/41863
- Moved several not so often used menus to the "Other" submenu (Build ref/reachable, Merged Parch, Seq File, Localization, etc.)
- Full expand key modifier changed to ALT
Version 3.0.24 contains the following changes:
NOTE Changes to Merged Patch: 3.0.24 of TES5Edit only adds Containers and Leveled Lists to Merged Patches.
- [TES5] Updated load order handling when plugins.txt is empty and no BOSS info is available
- [TES5] Fixed event name definition in QUST
- [TES5] CELL water level fixup for better conflicts detection
- [TES5] Autoremoving legacy RNAMs from WRLD; empty keywords from NPC_, ARMO, AMMO, WEAP, ALCH, MISC
- [TES5] Removed NPC_, ARMO, AMMO, WEAP records from Merged Patch (unsafe to copy possible scripts to a new plugin)
- [FO3] No sorting of DIAL groups
- [FO3/FNV] Fixed record definition for ragdolls which crashed game after cleaning several DLCs
- Copy "Compare to" selected file to the game's data folder if it is not there
- Improved registry handling on x64 systems
- Hold CTRL key when expanding a node for full expand
Version 3.0.23 contains the following changes:
- [TES5] Merged patch updated for Skyrim, currently it merges:
* Leveled NPCs, Items, Spells
* NPC: Items, Spells, Head Parts, Factions
* Race: Hairs, Eyes, Spells
* Form Lists
* Keywords on: Armor, Weapon, Ammo, NPC
- [TES5/FNV/FO3] When performing UDR there will be a warning message for deleted NavMeshes.
- [TES5] Updated record definitions.
* BPDT was sorted by a localized name which is inconsistent for different languages (now sorted by a node name)
* NPC's tints are now sorted by tint index for better conflicts detection
* QUST aliases are no longer sorted by index
* QUST stages are now sorted by stage index
* Improved NavMeshes (thanks to Divstator)
- [TES5] FaceFX phonemes where empty after copying RACE record.
- [TES5] Fixed bugs when copying RACE and QUST (empty model was created for RACE; QUST location aliases were turning into ref ones).
- [TES5] Create start-enabled quests sequence SEQ file (you can select several files at once).
- [TES5] Improved error checking.
- [FNV] CHAL record was missing some challenge types from Dead Money DLC.
- [FNV] Disabled DIAL sorting, was causing errors when copying INFO records.
- No autosaves when "you know what you are doing".
- Compare with external tool option in Edit window.
- "Apply Filter for Cleaning" menu. Note that xEdit saves filter settings when you press OK button in filter window, so if you clean plugin and exit the program, your filter settings will be preserved.
- Filter option for deleted records.
- Saving messages to [TES5/FNV/FO3/TES4]Edit_log.txt upon exit.
- Fixed minor bug when Edit can't find game's folder. If your registry settings is invalid due to a Steam bug and Edit is unable to find your game, put it in the game's root folder where the game executable file is (Oblivion.exe, TESV.exe, etc).
- Reason: The game's Registry entry is missing. This happens to a lot of people, because Steam likes to remove it whenever the game is updated or its game cache is verified. Run the game's launcher to add the Registry entry back again.
Version 3.0.22 contains the following changes:
- Skyrim Support.
- New exceptions handler.
- Optional backups in a separate directory.
- Remember position and state of the main window.
- Fixed bug when editing with Shift+DblClick.
- [All] Wrye Bash ghosted plugins (*.esp.ghost) in plugin selection window.
- [ALL] FLST form list is no longer sorted.
- [ALL] EDID affects conflict detection.
- [TES5] Localization editor, plugin localization/delocalization with optional translation.
- [TES5] -l:language command line switch to chose default localization files.
- [TES5] Adding missed plugin files from plugins.txt/loadorder.txt to the end of plugins list.
- [FNV] WeaponModKit IMOD record support for various subrecords.
- [FNV] PLD2 subrecord is no longer removed in package.
- [FNV/FO3] Quest stage signed value overflow fix.
- [Oblivion] Fixed ownership record order in CELL.
- [Oblivion] Snowy weather definition fix (thanks to Arthmoor).
Q: I have the following errors with one of my plugins what do I do?
[00:43] Background Loader: Error: record ARMA contains unexpected (or out of order) subrecord MODL
[00:43] Background Loader: Errors were found in: ShieldofYsgramorDraugrAA [ARMA:01001001]
[00:43] Background Loader: Contained subrecords: EDID BODT RNAM DNAM MOD2 MO2T MOD3 MO3T MOD4 MO4T MOD5 MO5T SNDD NAM0 NAM1 NAM2 NAM3 MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL MODL
A: I have seen that occur with plugins made with the ReProccer, NPC Editor, and older buggy versions of TESVSnip. Usually TESVSnip 4.2 or 4.3.x. TESVSnip never used the proper compression which is ZLib so the files are improperly compressed or they were left uncompressed. No matter how the plugin was made it will cause issues durring game play. You can either continue to use them but they may cause game instability, report the errors to the author so they can be addressed, or uninstall them.
Update Miax’s Tome of FO3Edit to be TES5Edit's documentation.
Update NAVM, NAVI, and their subrecords.