Topics, Discussions and Guides on the popular Fallout New Vegas game produced by Bethesda Softworks.
Fallout New Vegas
by Webslug » April 28th, 2009, 8:10 am
Fallout: New Vegas, landing on the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC sometime next year, won't be a direct sequel to the blockbuster Fallout 3, and it won't be developed by that game's creators at Bethesda Softworks.
Instead, it'll be a stand-alone experience crafted by Obsidian Entertainment, the folks who handled the very solid sequels to Edmonton-based BioWare Corp.'s Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Neverwinter Nights.
As the title suggests, the game will be set in post-apocalyptic Las Vegas -- a stark contrast to the now-familiar irradiated ruins of Washington, D.C. -- and Bethesda says it will look and feel very similar to its own Fallout 3. Other than that, details are scarce for the time being.
So in lieu of more hard facts, we're rolling the dice and coming up with a lucky seven things we'd love to see in Fallout: New Vegas.
n Retro-Vegas chic: The world of Fallout is bathed in the culture and optimism of the 1950s (at least, until the atomic bombs dropped), and as such it would make no sense for Fallout: New Vegas to be full of ultra-modern skyscraper hotels. Hopefully the city of New Vegas will look like a nuked-out version of Rat Pack-era Sin City, with art deco sci-fi flourishes.
- References to New Reno: To truly gain favour with old-school Fallout fans, there should be references (or even a visit) to New Reno, a memorable location from Fallout 2. Interestingly, Fallout: New Vegas developer Obsidian Entertainment is made up of some of the same people who worked on Fallout 2. So that one's likely a no-brainer.
- No Alice, Jill or zombies: The only other creature-infested, post-apocalyptic vision of Las Vegas that comes to mind is the one from the movie Resident Evil: Extinction. The less Fallout: New Vegas reminds of us of that crapfest, the better.
- A big, juicy level cap: For those not down with role-playing game jargon, a "level cap" is the maximum experience level a player's character can reach in a game. Many players hitFallout 3's 20th level cap long before finishing the main storyline, so Fallout: New Vegas will absolutely need to pump the cap up much higher.
- Siegfried and Roy's mutant white tigers: In the Fallout timeline, the Third World War starts in 2077. But maybe in that alternate version of history there were still a pair of Teutonic magicians with signature white tigers doing a splashy stage show in Las Vegas. If so, we can't wait to do battle with the tigers' irradiated, mutated descendants.
- Gambling: Slot machines that accept bottlecaps (the currency of the Fallout world) might be too much to ask for, but surely some form of betting will have survived the apocalypse. Gambling mini-games in RPGs don't always fare well (we're looking at you, Fable II), but we're hopeful Obsidian can come up with some cool, Fallout-y ways of wagering cash.
- A Super Mutant Elvis impersonator: Come on. You know it would be cheesy, horrific ... and awesome. Just like Fat Elvis himself.
Please remember to comment, it helps to encourage modders with their work.
Fallout: New Vegas
by Strange Angel » February 8th, 2010, 8:45 am
That's right the next installment of Fallout is on the way. This is not another expansion, this is a brand new stand-alone title. Based on what my many hook-ups at Game-Stop have told me it's scheduled to be released this coming Fall for the 360, PS3, and of course the PC. When it comes to a game like this the PC is always the way to go. That's all I can offer about the new Fallout for now. But YAY! I can't wait! 2010 is really shaping up to be a great year for gaming!
"The truth is lived, not taught." ~ Hermann Hesse
- Posts: 490
- Location: New York, US
- Kudos: 17
- CPU: Alienware Laptop
- GPU: Nvidia
- RAM: 4GB
- The Elder Scrolls Online - Gathering and Exploration Trailer
- Should Mods Reloaded Have A Minecraft Server Again?
- Skyrim Hints & Tips
- Witcher 2 Dev-tools released for free
- Settlers IV - Maps on request
- Settlers IV - Editing Config files, bugfixing and language
- Company of Heroes 2 - Release Date announced!
- Settlers III Remake for Android, Linux, Mac and Windows