Better graphics Landscape LOD detail guide
Vanilla Oblivion to this day is still an awesome looking game and lots of mods can improve the visuals I'm on a i7 920, 6 gigs, Ati HD4780 1 gig, but it seemed to slow Oblivion way down, I even tried the 4 gig patch.
Not only did it slow down, it also became very unstable and crashed far more frequently, in addition it was usually always seem to crash on exit, I even tried mods to solve the exit issue.
Some textures were wrong or I couldn't get the load order right and when I saw invisible Timber Wolves with red heads I'd had enough. I don't want to keep playing and continue to discover more and more problems and always wonder when it will crash next. What's the point in playing if you can't get immersed into the world.
Anyway I'd like to pass on what I'm doing now and if anyone else wants a better oblivion without massive work and alterations, this could work for you.
Only two things really bothered me in Oblivion, the UI, and distant land textures, so here's what I've done.
In oblivion select ultra high, HDR, check distant rendering options, and crank up all settings in game.
In the Video Cards control panel crank up Anisotropic Filtering, and Anti Aliasing.
1) Install OBMM.
2) Install Darnified-UI (This requires OBMM, and makes the interface much more appealing).
3) Install Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
4) Install Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.
5) Install these 2 texture packs (you copy the folders, easily removed as it's in a folder of its own)
Landscape LOD Texture Replacement.
Landscape LOD Texture Replacement Border regions.
6) Edit these in the "oblivion.ini" in "my games" folder under "my documents"
The game looks amazing, runs fast, super stable, no crashes on exit and no more graphic surprises, I'm now playing a very impressive more pc like version of the greatest RPG ever, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
"That is until Elder Scrolls V"
- Posts: 293
- Uploads: 19
- Kudos: 28
- Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD5
- CPU: Intel core i7 920 @ 4ghz
- GPU: Gainward GS 4870 HD 1GB
- RAM: Patriot 6 GB 1600 mhz
- Storage Space: 1.5 TB
- Sound Card: Onboard
Re: Better graphics LOD detail guide
Please remember to comment, it helps to encourage modders with their work.
- Posts: 1054
- Location: England
- Uploads: 17
- Kudos: 18
- Motherboard: Gigabyte EP41
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo
- GPU: Nvidia 9800 GTX PCI
- RAM: 2048 RAM DDR 2